Cottage cheese is more than simple cheese used as a core ingredient in special sweets like Kacha Golla. It is a celebrated sweet around Pakistan and India.
Kacha Golla is known for years in Pakistan and India, especially in events like Eid, Shab-e-Barat, Navratri, and Holi. The kacha golla recipe is also available at the authentic Pakistani blogs and you can also order it online at Pakistani Soghat. They will make sure that you have the originally manufactured Kacha golla from the verified shop. It is one of the most famous products of Pakistan and is a traditionally cherished sweet.
Giving a different and delicious touch to Cottage Cheese – Kacha Golla RecipeCourse: DessertCuisine: Pakistani, IndianDifficulty: Medium
Kacha golla is typically eaten as a dessert on its own. It can also be served with a side of milk or syrup.
Fresh full cream milk (2 liters)
Vinegar or lemon juice (4 tbsp.)
Saffron strands (8 to 10)
Green cardamom powder (1/4 tsp.)
Granulated sugar (5 tbsp. or according to your taste and preference of sugar)
Cheesecloth or fine muslin
Water (5 tbsp.)
- Cottage Cheese Preparation
- In a wok or karahi, pour 1 tbsp water and add milk. Bring it to a boil.
- Add saffron strands to infuse a sweet scent, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add 4 tbsp lemon juice mixed with equal water. The cheese and whey will start separating.
- Turn off the gas immediately to prevent the cheese from hardening.
- Draining and Setting
- Keep it for around 3 minutes and then pour the cottage cheese on a muslin cloth or cheesecloth.
- Rinse with cold water to prevent further curdling and remove the lemon smell.
- Tie the cloth, squeeze out extra whey, and place it on a flat container or perforated plate.
- Put a heavy object on it for 15 to 20 minutes to drain excess whey.
- Open the cloth and transfer the saffron-infused cheese to a flat surface.
- Kneading the Dough
- Mash the cheese on your palm for 15 minutes until smooth and lump-free.
- Break the cheese ball, add cardamom powder and sugar, and knead for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls and smooth them with your palms.
- Consume them fresh, as refrigeration may make them dry and hard.